When you get cable installed the installer usually programs your cable box remote to also control the power and volume for your TV. However, if you use a surround sound system for audio then you still need a separate remote just to control the volume. There is a way though to have the volume buttons control your surround sound system rather than your TV or cable box no matter what mode your remote is on – CABLE, TV, or AUX. These simple instructions are for Xfinity or Comcast users.
You first need to set up your Xfinity remote to be able to control your surround sound device. Head over to www.xfinity.com/remote to find the code for your device. Enter the requested data and it will let you know what the five digit code is. Once you have the code you can program in into your remote.
- Turn on the audio device that you would like to program.
- Press the AUX button on your remote control.
- Press and hold Setup until the red light blinks twice, then release Setup.
- Enter the first code for your device listed from www.xfinity.com/remote. If you perform this procedure correctly, the red light will blink twice. NOTE: If you enter an invalid code, the red light will display one long blink and exit the programming mode. Repeat steps 2 to 4 with a valid code.
- Aim the remote control at your device and press Power once. If the audio turns off, make sure that the VOL+/- and Mute buttons also work. If so, you’re all set!
- If not, repeat these steps using the next code.
Once you have your audio device programed into your remote you will be able to control the volume but only by pressing the AUX button first. You will then have to press the CABLE button to go back to controlling your cable box. Switching between both modes can be annoying. Follow the following steps to be able to control your surround sound system’s volume no matter which mode your remote is on.
To program your Xfinity/Comcast remote to control audio device globally:
- Press the AUX button to set remote in AUX mode.
- Press and hold the Setup button until the AUX button flashes twice.
- Enter 993 then press the AUX button.
Now you will be able to control the volume of your surround sound with your Xfinity or Comcast remote no matter which mode it is set on. Hope this helps! Drop a line in the comments if you have any questions or found this helpful😉